Mining sector is the backbone of Mongolian economy and mining sector alone have played the most important role in bringing the Mongolian economy to the international business limelight.
- Started in June, 2014.
- Finished in September, 2014.
- Phase 2 started in September, 2015 and currently on-going.
Mongolia joined EITI international in 2006 and since then EITIM has been producing mining reports public each year.
- 1600+ companies sending reports through E-Reporting system.
- Reports available to all and everyone who is interested.
- Analytical display of results available.
- Developed fully using open source technology.
- Fully open-sourced project I.e. source code is publically available.
Potential users (people who can benefit from this system)
- EITI organization in implemented countries.
- Mining communities.
- Civil Society Organizations.
- Economist and Researchers.
Current Users (who uses the system currently)
- EITI- Mongolia.
- Mining Companies (OT, TT etc)
- Government Agencies (Tax office, department of customs etc).
- Civil Society Organizations (Open Society Forum, Mongolia).
- Independent Auditors (KPMG).
SOME CURRENT USERS OF THE SYSTEM
- Mining Companies( OT, Tavan Tolgoi etc).
- MRAM, GDT, Custom Office ect( Government Agencies).
- KPMG-Mongolia ( Audit Companies).
- Open Society Forum( Biggest Civil Society forum in Mongolia).
Impact to the Society:
- Reduction in paper based reports, thus promote clean environment process.
- Since source code is open sourced so interested parties can use it without paying for it and make customization to it.
- Put Mongolia in the mining map for promoting transparency in the mining industries.
- More than 1800+ mining companies are currently operating in Mongolia and all of them have to use the system in order to submit their reports.
- So far paper based reports from 2006 till 2014 are digitalized and uploaded to the system. That is about 3400+ reports over the period of 9 years.
- 900+ companies’ reports are reconciled in 2014 by Independent Reconciler (KPMG) using the system.
- Mongolia was awarded best country for promoting transparency data during the EITI international conference in Peru, 2016 (February). This was achieved through the E-Reporting system.